Our Focus Area
Promoting Decent Work Environment
One of the reasons for the major drawback in the Sri Lankan tea sector is due to lack of decent working environment and low productivity among tea estates and small holders. This led the ISD to to focus on promoting decent working environment in the Sri Lankan tea sector by expanding UTZ certification and the sustainability of the tea industry by capacity building and strengthening the employees and managers on Good Agricultural Practices (GAP), Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), Occupational Health & Safety (OHS), first aid and good labour practices.
The gender parity and women empowerment issues have been the core operational strategies for Institute of Social Development (ISD). In order to take this mandate forward, ISD's women's wing also known as working women's front understood the importance of mobilizing and building the capacity of working women of organized, unorganized and informal sector to enjoy decent working condition with equal rights.
Currently, WWF conducts programs in following areas;
- v Gender, Women's Rights, Labour Rights and Collective Bargaining for working women
- v Gender, Gender Parity, Bodily Rights & Career Guidance for youth
- v Safe Labour Migration for female migrant domestic workers.
- v Promotion of women's participation in local politics.
The Global Initiative for Justice, Truth and Reconciliation is a consortium of nine organizations, led by the International Coalition of Sites of Conscience that develops and implements a range of rapid response and high-impact programs, utilizing both restorative and retributive approaches to justice and accountability for gross human rights violations. In light of new opportunities for transitional justice in Sri Lanka following its recent presidential election, the Consortium proposes a nine-month project to address the reconciliation and accountability needs of Sri Lanka, especially related to missing persons, through local and high-level consultations and participatory needs assessments, workshops and a basket fund to provide targeted technical assistance to the government of Sri Lanka (GSL) in transitional justice policy and practice.
The Institute for Social Development is currently working with International Coalition of Sites of Conscience (ICSC) and another local women’s organization on a project to examine the needs of local stakeholders in the areas of truth, justice, accountability and reconciliation, begin a process of trust-building between stakeholders and Consortium partners, and initiate activities to support government transitional justice activities.
UTZ Tea Certification
In order to develop sustainable tea supply chains in Sri Lanka to meet the growing need of the tea industry, the ISD conducts various programmes through professionals to enhance the knowledge on quality products and methods to minimize the damage caused due to malpractices.
To enable the estates to obtain the UTZ tea certification, the following programs are conducted by ISD;
- v Orientation on UTZ certification
- v Gap audit based on the UTZ tea code
- v Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)
- v Good Agricultural Practices (GAP)
- v Occupational Safety and Health (OSH)
- v Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
- v Employer-Employee relationship and Industrial harmony
- v Gender
- v Mitigating early alcohol and other drugs consumptions
- v Women rights
- v Child rights /Child abuse
- v Leadership
- v Linking youths with government skill development training
- v Teambuilding
- v Maintenance of Farm Diary (Tea small Holders)
- v Recordkeeping (Tea Small Holders)
- v Formation of Internal Management System (Tea Small Holders)
- v In house Audit
Strengthen the citizenry leadership among the plantation community
The main objective of the programme is the inclusion of the plantation community under the local government programme.In order to bridge the gaps, the ISD initiated activities at three levels which were estate, divisional and national levels through capacity building to improve the limited knowledge of the community and the obtain services through forming CBO & RDS.